Monday, August 12, 2013

MAMMA MIA - DESSERTS TO GO FOR - AT MAMAGOTO

am hands down,  a savoury over savory person, and so am extremely critical when it comes to desserts

In all seriousness, I would like to consider myself a bit of a dessert connoisseur (I make way too many desserts as my family is very fond of them), and desserts at very few places get me excited.



So when I was asked to do a dessert review at Mamagoto I was very skeptical on what they would be like.

We decided to have dinner there first, then do the dessert tasting.  Our order was very simple – Honey chicken, Chiang Mai Train Station Noodles which was a Chicken Khao-suey styled noodled with coconut milk, burnt onion + garlic and peanuts, and a steamed fish with a south east Asian dressing.  I absolutely loved the noodles and recommend it to everyone.  It is a winner. 

Finally it was time for what we were there – the desserts.

We started with the Crunchy Nutella Mousse.  As the name suggests this was a sticky toffee kind of mousse made with lots of yummy Nutella over a biscuit base, topped with more crushed biscuits and praline.  A very tasty dessert,  just perfectly sweetened without going over the top.  Loved the crunch of the praline. 





The Country Style Peanut Butter Cheesecake was a delight.  I have eaten Cheesecakes in lots of restaurants in Delhi and most of them serve flavored cream over a base, barely any cheese :(  I can barely count 4-5 places which do a genuinely good Cheesecake.  Well, let me tell you the Cheesecake here was absolutely gorgeous.  I am extremely fond of Peanut butter but even if I wasn’t, I would have recommended it.  Am waiting to see what other flavours they come up with in the future.



The third new dessert was the Smoking Panda’s Lemon and Coconut Tart – interesting, very light and lemony with lots of coconut pieces.  Forgive me for not sounding over enthusiastic but I am not a coconut fan except in my curries.  Maybe the coconut needs to be toned down a little as it overpowered the lemon.




This was followed by a Banoffee Pie – or rather a deconstructed Banoffee served in a bowl with lots of cream, caramel, bananas and cookie powder instead of a pie base.  Light [because of the missing shortbread base] and creamy.  

The Caramel sponge cake with the toffee sauce was the pièce de résistance.  Once I had the cake here, I knew I was not going to want anything else.  A flavorful cake which will cause a chemistry in your mouth that you have never experienced before.  


There was an excellent Flourless Chocolate Cake to follow.  This just melted in the mouth, like a molten lava cake.  Was a positive hit with the husband and son.



Next – I was exhausted by now – we tasted the Chocolate Mud Cake with Ice Cream – an extremely light cake with lots of chocolate, again a hit with the family.  I will be expected to try and replicate this.




Finally the coconut flavored  ice cream.   Please forget my comments above on how I don’t like coconut – this one was wow.  Sorry I missed this picture.

We tasted some 8 different desserts – believe me that’s a lot to experience in one evening.  It was like an explosion of fIavours between chocolate desserts, Banoffee, lemon, coconut, peanut butter, YUMMMMM.  

I was blown away by how beautiful everything looked.  I kept thinking in the back of my mind, "wow this place is amazing!" The foods has always been excellent and the desserts are absolutely gorgeous.   From my conversation with the Restaurant Manager, I understand that all the desserts are made in a central kitchen of Mamagoto and then distributed to the outlets.  This definitely helps keep the quality the same throughout.

The staff was extremely attentive – okay so the critics will say that’s because we were there to review the desserts – but it was the same with all the other tables.  Food came on time and was extremely well presented.  All in all a great experience.


My Compliments to the Chefs and Deepak Kumar Singh, the restaurant manager, for this experience.
.

No comments :

Post a Comment